Sunday, May 5, 2013

WEEK 5 - NEW DISCOVERIES




Week 5 is nearly over, it is unbelievable!!! I feel sorry that we have only 5 weeks left, because I have discovered so many things, useful techniques and most of all, I have witnessed warm atmosphere here.

This week was full of various tasks. First, we discussed the topic 'Alternative assessment, Project-based learning and Webquests'. All these techniques were quite new for me. I got loads of information about each of them. Especially, I was greatly impressed by the projects implemented by Susan Gaer, such as making newspapers, cookbooks and folktales. These projects motivate and encourage the students, discover their hidden abilities and personal traits and promote the sense of community, self-esteem and confidence in themselves. I have also prepared some projects for my senior students for the next year and I am sure I will succeed it.

The Alternative assessment is a great tool for both teachers and students, it makes the students get more motivated and responsible for performing the given tasks. I read the article about the rubrics and found them useful. The rubistar is an amazing website.I created a rubric for assessing the students' performances for final oral presentations.

What about Webquests, they are also interesting, involve collaborative work, develops the students' critical thinking, problem-solving and decision-making skills. I have created my own webquest but not completed, because it is also quite new for me.I'll do it in a few days.

The last task was to choose technology tool for solving the problem we mentioned last week. In order to deal with the problem of improving the writing skills of the students and enhance their motivation I decided to use a blog and Rubrics for a class, The students will share their opinions on my posts, join discussions and comment on each other's posts. With the rubrics they will feel more responsible and self-confident. And if I succeed I will also apply Webquest. 

I wish this course didn't end! I am accustomed to the staff, my colleagues and especially our dear instructor Mrs Donna Shaw.

Thank you so much!!!!!

Sincerely

Gulnar

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gulnar,

    Your reflection is thorough and rich. You made me remember every single idea I read as well. I, too, liked the PBL shared by Susan Gear. I think what made these projects successful is the way the teacher designed them and how the way she related them to students. Students will be learning language that they won't easily forget, for they easily were learning it for a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hello Hoda!

      Hope you are well! I am glad you liked my post! I totally agree with you! The projects are successful when they are designed clearly and correctly. Besides as I mentioned in the discussion while applying the projects with the students we should take their age, level, background, aptitudes, interests into account.

      I wish you success in doing this challenging task!

      All my best,

      Gulnar

      Delete
  2. Hello Gulnar. It is pretty awesome how you have summarized this last week's tasks. I also agree with you that is a pity that we are half our way to finish this outstanding course. Besides this, I find your words about Susan Gear's really similar to what I learned this week about PBL. I find this teaching tool very useful as well. Hope you may have a good week.
    Roberto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hello Roberto!

      Thank you for commenting on my post! I am sure all of us enjoyed reading the articles by Susan Gaer and felt excited to create our own projects. As you mentioned PBL is an effective tool for both teachers and students as they get them more encouraged, motivated and responsible for the tasks to be performed.

      I hope you will succeed in presenting a number of useful projects for your students!

      Sincerely

      Gulnar

      Delete