Sunday, April 14, 2013

MY IMPRESSIONS OF WEEK 2


I am going to share my impressions of Week 2 - how successfully I applied what I learned in my classes - and my opinions with you!

There were a number of valuable activities that we did during this week. First of all, the discussion topic was Websearching. I confess that I was familiar with a few websites like Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia, I always search for the topics on these websites. But thanks to www. noodletools.com - the search engine that Ms Donna offered us, I found many websites useful for my students and me too. As I mentioned in my post there is a great choice of websites that we need time to browse them thoroughly. I will recommend them to my students as well as my colleagues in the university. I hope they will also enjoy them. The websites such as Intute which provides lots of information in all spheres - medicine, art, education, psychology, communication, etc., Bing and iSEEK Education- will be beneficial for students in preparing their reports, Ask.com - we can find the answers to any questions that interest us, Merriam-Webster Dictionary which will enable the students get the definitions of the words, their synonyms, etymology and do quizzes to test themselves. I also took into account some websites that my colleagues recommended me - eric.edu.gov, sweetsearch.com. 

Besides our dear instructor informed us with amazing statistics about the Internet users. We must acknowledge that nowadays the number of Internet users is growing exponentially. More than half of the world population have access to the Internet. As the technology becomes a tool for learning, we should benefit its power and go far in our life.

Another important task was to present our ABCD learning objective. We had to share a behavioral objective for the class we are teaching using this model. And I created my learning objective following the criteria suggested by it. It was really interesting. Without objective you can't get success in your teaching career.

And the last we had to describe our classes and inform about the class setting in detail in order to let them know whether we could apply the new technology during our classes. This is the start for our final project.

Every week I learn new things, new technologies that I really didn't expect to be like that! 
Thank you so much for giving us opportunities to benefit from your experience!

Sincerely,
Gulnar

5 comments:

  1. Hello Gulnar,

    your description of this week's activities is excellent and everybody involved must agree with you. Sharing the websites is one of the most beneficial outcomes of this course so I think that knowing the search tips and focusing on websites devoted to some specific areas of interests will decrease the time spent on it and narrow the expected results.

    Regarding ABCD Model for Behavioural Objectives, it is a very valuable tool for teachers which might help teachers avoid problems to set, follow and evaluate objectives and outcomes of their lessons.

    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gulnar,
    It is a great opportunity to have an e-colleague like you. The way you dealt with the tasks of the week is well organised. I totally agree with you when you say that Donna has opened our eyes to new websearch engines and websearching techniques.

    As for the ABCD Model Objectives, the naming of elements may differ, but the content is the same. Behavioural objectives are set to make a change in our students behavioural outcomes.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

    Best,
    Dareen

    ReplyDelete

  3. Dear Monika and Dareen!

    Thank you so much for adding such valuable comments on my blog!

    I am so grateful to the staff of the Oregon University for giving a chance to know such talented people closer! I am happy that I can benefit from your experience.

    I hope you both do well in your studies. I wish you great success!

    Take care!

    Sincerely,
    Gulnar

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gulnar,
      At first, I have tried using web search like Google, YAHOO,WIKIPEDIA, to look for lists of directory and moving on to look for the specified information.

      To make power point presentation more interesting, I have included some pictures images in gif and jpeg format and integrated some sounds, videos as pictures speak louder than words. I began to use Yahoo and Google image search and youtube.com. I am aware of copy rights issue, so I make it a point to mention and quote the original source

      For my students,I have recommended search engine like dictionary,com and and world web dictionary and thesaurus to build up vocabulary. Fun games website to enrich spelling and vocabulary website like hangman, text twists, word search, spelling bee,

      I actually like noodle.com. It makes my websearching faster and simpler.Thank you,Donna.


      Wong Lai Leng

      Delete